Now that the warmer temperatures are upon us, most people take the opportunity to go outside to enjoy the warm rays of sunshine. For many spring time is the time to tend to the gardens and the neglected landscaping. Property landscaping is a great way to get some physical exercise, however many individuals end up hurting themselves from their weekend projects. The gardening tasks at hand are usually plentiful and people try to fix their entire yard in one weekend. Here are some helpful hints to tackle your landscaping needs:
1. Prioritize your projects and assign one project per weekday or weekend rather than trying to fix everything all at once.
2. Try to avoid bending over or squatting for long periods of time. If you must pick something up, bend with your legs and not your lower back.
3. If you are working close to the ground, use a soft cushion for your knees. This will provide support to your lower body and add some level of comfort.
4. Try to use a wheelbarrow or dolly to move bags of potting soil or stones rather than lifting them. Take smaller loads more frequently rather than one large load.
5. Take frequent breaks about every 20 to 30 minutes during strenous activities such as digging or carrying rocks.
6. Load heavy objects towards the front of the wheelbarrow using the wheel as a pivot to support the load.
7. Make sure you stay properly hydrated throughtout the day, taking small frequent water breaks. Make sure you do not chug the water, but take several small sips .
At the end of the gardening day, take time to stretch out the muscles you just got done using. Also, make sure you are replenishing nutrients and water that was utilized throughout the process. Most low back injuries are caused by one of three things: poor abdominal strength, poor flexibility, and unfavorable lifting techniques. If you need help strengthening your core and gaining some flexibility, contact us at 610 334-4120 for help.